PLUNK FAMILY | EARLY HISTORY | HISTORY | OLD PHOTOS | GENEALOGY | FINGER TN

NAVIGATION BAR

FINGER, TENNESSEE

FingerTN.jpg

When the Plunk family moved from North Carolina to West Tennessee, they settled about three miles from Bethel Springs, Tennessee at the Old Liberty community. Jacob Plunk's, son of Dr. Peter Plunk, family scattered over the north part of newly created McNairy County which was formed January 01, 1824. George Plunk, son of Jacob, was granted 153 acres of land August 23, 1849 Range 4 Section 5 Entry No. 2284 by Andrew Johnson, governor of Tennessee. 


History of George Plunk and family buying and selling land in McNairy County Tennessee:

 August 23, 1849 George Plunk was granted 153 acres of land lying in Range 4 Section 5 by Andrew Johnson, governor of Tennessee.

December 8, 1849 George purchased ten acres from John Hendrix, a part of Entry No. 1554.

February 21, 1851 George sold 203 acres to J. Hendrix that he was granted by the state of Tennessee, Entry No. 2284.

May 10, 1851 George Plunk sold 25 acres, a part of Entry No. 2284,  to G. D. Hendrix. 

April 21, 1852 George Plunk, Sr. sold 10 acres to Richard J. Hendrix.

August 14, 1852 George sold 50 acres to Wm S. Wisdom, part of Entry No. 2284.

July 30, 1859 George purchased 292 acres in Range 4 Section 5 being near all of Entry No. 1506 from Wm S. Wisdom. 

 

 


After the death of George Plunk this land was owned jointly between his sons, Alfred Monroe and Samuel Carson. Elisha Lawson, son of George Plunk, had moved his family to Missouri. December 1902 through1903 the land was legally divided between the two brothers.
 
After the death of Samuel Carson Plunk February 14, 1905, Lavina Ann Mason Plunk on January 7, 1911, Samuel's wife, sold the land to her son, William and his wife, Susie Starks Plunk.  December 31, 1911 William and Susie purchased 100 acres of land from Ike T. Dickey.   January 31, 1929 William Louis Plunk purchased 108 acres from J. R. Harris.  June 14, 1949 William Louis Plunk purchased land from Estilee Joyner Adams. 

After the death of William Louis Plunk December 6, 1952 son Frank George and wife Luda Joyner Plunk took over 350 acres farm December 13, 1952, and paid his heirs their share. Frank and Luda owned this farm till 1978. This farm was in the Plunk family for 120 years and land George Plunk purchased July 30, 1859 and part of this farm still owned by member of George Plunk family today. 

Historical tax record 1870 George Plunk owned 467 acres of land in District 8 McNairy County Tennessee.

 
PLUNK FAMILY
   

George and Frances Gorman Plunk and family lived in District 8 McNairy County Tennessee.

scanPLUNKDEEDSGF.jpg

scanPLUNKDEEDS0001.jpg


scanPLUNKDEEDS0002.jpg

scanPLUNKDEEDS0003.jpg

Article from McNairy County, Tennessee Independent Appeal Newspaper Friday August 13, 1920

undefined
scanFINGERBBQ.jpg
undefined

It is estimated that 80% of marriages before 1900's were between cousins. Why? Because the population base was smaller. People lived in small communities and migrated within those small communities. This is true within the Plunk families. George Plunk family married members of the following family lived around his farm. Starks, Floyd, Robison, McIntyre, Joyner, Moore. 

scanMCNAIRYCOUNTY0001.jpg

  1. PLUNKFAMILY.jpg

                                              

PlunkFamily2.jpg

                                         
                                                   

PlunkFamily3.jpg

webassets/FingerTennessee.jpg

John and Jacob Plunk families lived in same area of McNairy County Tennessee starting about 1825. The families are still in McNairy County, but most moved to other states. especially after the Civil War. Most of the families can be found in Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. 

.


Lonnie Plunk 
email address